Wednesday, February 5, 2014

One week away.....

As I sit here on a snow day with 10 inches of snow outside, I'm trying to decide what clothes to bring to a country where the temperatures will be in the 90s.  In the Thai culture it is not acceptable to show skin, so that rules out shorts, tank tops and flip flops.  I have to decide what pants, shirts and shoes will be as cool as possible.

I am also considering all of the methods of transportation that we will be taking.  We will be on planes for about 24 hours to get to Bangkok, on boats within the country, and on trains between locations in the country (including a night train where we will have to sleep on it & arrive in our location in the morning - I can sleep on planes fine but I've never had to sleep on a train...).

I walked to CVS today to buy earplugs (to block out noise while sleeping on planes, in hotels, & on the train), motion sickness medicine (I don't think I get motion sick but I'm taking it just in case), Purell, travel rolls of toilet paper (very small), insect repellent, and bandaids.

Politically, the elections were this past Sunday so I am checking the news daily on the internet to hear about the status of protests and any violence associated with them.  The US government's latest warning from about a week ago expires on the day that we land in Bangkok, indicating that it thought the threat of violence during protests should be done by then. We'll see....


4 comments:

  1. Ms.Green,
    I enjoyed reading your blog posts. I noticed you talked about the long flight and helped students understand what it takes to travel to the other side of the world. (This makes for a great lesson on longitude/latitude, time zones, international dateline, jet stream wind directions and more.) You had some nice "take aways" from both the temple visit and speakers that you shared with your students. I hope they will be following you during the vacation break so that they can continue to learn along with you. ~Dr. DeMello

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. DeMello,
      Thank you for the comment and suggestions. We just discussed the jet stream last week. I'll include that bit in my post on Friday when I report about the flight experience.

      Delete
  2. Ms.Green, I really like your blog, and your interesting news and facts about thailand.
    Politically, the elections were this past Sunday so I am checking the news daily on the internet to hear about the status of protests and any violence associated with them. The US government's latest warning from about a week ago expires on the day that we land in Bangkok, indicating that it thought the threat of violence during protests should be done by then.






    about that: is thailand getting a new leader?




    thanx :)





    victor, b block

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor,
      Thank you for looking at my blog and writing a comment. The royal family will not change; it is the government positions such as House of Parliament members and prime minister that are being contested. If you go on the internet (with parent approval), search "Thailand news" and there is article from the Wall Street Journal today (called "Thai Court Rejects Opposition Bid to Throw Out Elections") that describes what is occurring politically in Thailand right now.

      Delete